Flooding fear?

water icon

 We are lucky that very few of our properties are in flood danger areas, however if you are concerned about water levels in your area read the information below.

If you feel concerned about flooding in your area, please follow these steps:

Do not walk or drive through flood water: If you must travel through floodwater, please only do so if the ground below is hard (tarmac/concrete but not grass), it is not flowing or if it is less than 4in/8cm deep and you can see the ground underneath the water. Only drive through water if you know that it’s not too deep – no more than halfway up your wheels.

Keep children away from floodwater and avoid direct contact with floodwater wherever possible: it may be contaminated.

Prepare a bag with essentials and keep it at least 30cm off the ground floor of your home and where it can be found easily in the dark.

Essentials to pack: warm/waterproof clothing, wellington boots, a torch, essential personal documents (birth certificates/passports/driver’s licence/insurance information/etc), blankets, rubber gloves, essential medication, painkillers and a first aid kit (plasters/disinfectant/etc), battery-powered/wind-up radio, phone and charger, food and bottled water,

Make sure you know how to turn off your gas: Turn the emergency control valve by the meter clock-wise.

Make sure you know how to turn off your electricity: switch off the Main Switch in your fuse box.

Make sure you know how to turn off your water: Turn the stop-cock clock-wise.

The council will deliver sandbags to roads where properties are most at risk. If you cannot collect these, please call your council or neighbours for help. To make sandbags yourself, fill pillowcases or bin bags with sand or earth.

If your toilet is not working it may be time to consider staying with a friend or relative who is not affected by the flooding. If you cannot find accommodation with friends or family, please call Crown Simmons and we will try to help. Please note: If your toilet is not working because of the flooding, we will not be able to resolve this issue until the flooding has stopped.

If you are unable to move sandbags to your property for protection: Ask neighbours first if they are willing to help. If you cannot contact your neighbours please contact your local council. If the water has entered your home and you cannot get out, please call 999.

Environment Agency for updates on flood warnings and flooding from rivers

Environment Agency 24 hour Floodline

0845 988 1188

Live updates on flood warnings

Find live updates here: https:/flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/

You can also follow the Environment Agencies South East Twitter Feed: @EnvAgencySE

Local Water Company for flooding from over-flowing sewers and drains

Southern Water: Phone: +44(0)1903 264 444 http://www.southernwater.co.uk/

South East Water: +44(0)333 000 0001 http://www.southeastwater.co.uk

Sutton & East Surrey Water: +44(0)1737 772 000 http://www.waterplc.com/

Thames Water: 0800 980 8800 http://www.thameswater.co.uk/

If you cannot find your water supplier from these options, visit the following link for more supplier’s contact details: http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-company/map/


Local Council for ‘surface water flooding’ (flooding on roads and pavements not because of over-flowing sewers and drains)


Your local council may be able to offer assistance and to provide up to date information about the flood risk where you live and what support they are able to offer.

Find your local council here: www.gov.uk/find-local-council



If you’re at risk of being affected by flooding please contact Crown Simmons to let us know so we can try to offer practical assistance where this may be required.

Crown Simmons – 01372 461 440



Scroll to Top