If you struggled to heat your home this winter, or need new, energy efficient white goods, you could be eligible for a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.
The British Gas Energy Trust is a charitable Trust which was set up to:
- help clear debts for domestic electricity and gas.
- potentially provide help to clear other priority debts and purchase essential household items. (You can apply for such help even if you do not apply for help with your electricity or gas debts.)
It is open to everyone, regardless of who your energy supplier is, so you do not need to be with British Gas to apply. It is free to apply and you would not have to pay back anything you receive.
Find out more about the application process here: http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/application-process
Please note that The Trust cannot provide you with the following:
- A loan
- Help with bills that you have already paid or with items that you have already bought.
- Medical equipment, aids and adaptations
- Fines for criminal offences
- Over payment of benefits
- Educational or training needs
- Business debts
- Debts to central or local government departments e.g. tax and national insurance
- Catalogues, credit cards, personal loans and other forms of non-secured lending
- Deposits to secure accommodation
- Mortgage / rent arrears
- Council Tax debts