Questions about Where You Live

Who is my local council?

This depends on where you live. To find your local council please visit:

Somebody is leaving furniture/big items in the communal areas and bin stores, what should I do?

If you think you know who it is, or even if you don’t know who it is, or if it is a passer-by, please let us know so we can take the appropriate measures.

If we cannot identify one resident then all residents will be written to asking for the items to be removed by a certain date.

The person responsible will be charged to have the items cleared when possible, but if not then this could have an affect on the service charges for all residents if we have to remove items on a regular basis.

If you have anything like furniture, or big items that you no longer need, why not offer them up for free on a site like freecycle or gumtree? This means that your item could go to a new home, and it would save you the fee the council charge for removing big items.

Go to to find your local freecycle network and search for your town or local authority.

If it is a large item that is broken and you are able to take it, you could also visit your local dump, search on your local council’s website to find out where your nearest one is. If you cannot take the item to the dump yourself, then you will have to get your council to collect it. The fee for this is usually around £30 per item.

My neighbours are really noisy, what should I do?

Please let us know if the noise gets out of hand. Noise nuisance is treated as a matter of anti-social behaviour which we take very seriously. We can speak to the noisy neighbour, liaise with the environmental health officer at your council on tackling the problem and, if necessary and with a lot of strong evidence, we may be able to evict the neighbour causing the problem.

If you suspect the noise is someone in danger, please phone the police immediately on 999.

If you have a noisy neighbour, please follow these steps, but always take care to not put yourself in any danger.

  1. Speak to the neighbour who is making the noise They might not know that they’ve been being noisy, so speak to them and let them know their noise has been bothering you. Keep a record of all communication
  1. If the noise keeps going, contact us If the person making the noise is a Crown Simmons resident, please let us know about the problem, we may contact the resident ourselves. If you do not know who their landlord is, please contact us as we may be able to help you.
  1. Keep a record of the noise If Steps 1 and 2 do not help, keep a record of the noise with your phone or any recording equipment you have. You can use this as evidence in any future action. You can download our Noise Nuisance Record Sheet here.
  1. If the noise doesn’t stop, contact your council Contact your local council’s Environmental Health Officer (EHO) so they can investigate the noise. They can measure the level of noise and they have the authority to take away noise-making equipment. If the EHO agrees the noise is a nuisance and speaking to the neighbour has been unsuccessful then the council can serve a notice on the noisy neighbour, potentially prosecute them or apply for an injunction.

What should I do if there is flooding in my area?

Visit the government’s page on flood risk here:

Different agencies are responsible for different types of flooding. Although all of these agencies have to work together to solve the problem, if you are able to clearly see the source of the flooding, the contact details for the following agencies are available below:

  • Environment Agency Floodline for flooding from the sea or rivers.

    Environment Agency Floodline: 0845 988 1188 (landline)/0345 9881188 (mobile)

  • Your local council for flooding from heavy rain (known as ‘surface water flooding’)

    Runnymede – 01932 838383, (EMERGENCY out-of-hours: 01932 425060)
    Elmbridge – 01372 474474, (EMERGENCY out-of-hours: 01372 466114)
    Guildford – 01483 505050, (EMERGENCY out-of-hours: 01483 455091)
    Brighton & Hove – 01273 292929, (EMERGENCY out-of-hours: 01273 292229)

  • Sewage/Water Company for flooding from over-flowing sewers and drains.

    Thames Water – 0845 9200 800 (Elmbridge, Guildford & Runnymede)
    Southern Water – 0845 278 0845 (Brighton & Hove)

  • Call 999 if you are trapped or have been injured.

  • Keep the number for your insurance agency to hand.

 Follow the Environment Agency’s South East England Twitter Updates

This provides information on new flood warnings and procedures.

If you feel concerned about flooding in your area, please follow these steps:

  • Do not walk or drive through flood water

    If you must travel through floodwater, please only do so if the surface below is hard (tarmac/concrete but not grass), it is not moving or if it is less than 4in/8cm deep and you can see the surface underneath the water. Only drive through water if you know that it’s not too deep – no more than halfway up your wheels.

  • Keep children away from floodwater and avoid direct contact with floodwater wherever possible as it may be contaminated.

  • Prepare a bag with essentials and keep it at least 30cm off the ground floor of your home and where it can be found easily in the dark.

    Essentials to pack: warm/waterproof clothing, wellington boots, a torch, essential personal documents (birth certificates/passports/driver’s licence/insurance information/etc), blankets, rubber gloves, essential medication, painkillers and a first aid kit (plasters/disinfectant/etc), battery-powered/wind-up radio, phone and charger, food and bottled water.

  • Make sure you know how to turn off your gas

    Turn the emergency control valve by the meter clock-wise.

  • Make sure you know how to turn off your electricity

    Switch off the Main Switch in your fuse box.

  • Make sure you know how to turn off your water

    Turn the stop-cock clock-wise.

The council will deliver sandbags to roads where properties are most at risk.

If you cannot collect these, please call your council or neighbours for help. To make sandbags yourself, fill pillowcases or bin bags with sand or earth.

If your toilet is not working it may be time to consider staying with a friend or relative who is not affected by the flooding.

If you cannot find accommodation with friends or family, please call Crown Simmons and we will try to help.

If your toilet is not working because of the flooding, we will not be able to provide repairs for this issue until the flooding has stopped.

If you are unable to move sandbags to your property for protection ask neighbours first if they are willing to help.

If you cannot contact your neighbours please contact your local council. If the water has entered your home and you cannot get out, please call 999.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann