Benefits & Support

You cannot claim Housing Benefit to help you with your mortgage (Shared Owners may be able to claim Housing Benefit on their share of the rent).

This section outlines a few benefits that do help with mortgage payments. If you’d like to see exactly what benefits you may be able to receive, visit

You may be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home. This help is paid as part of your benefit and is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) and it is normally paid directly to your lender. Please contact the Pension Service (details on next page) to see if you can claim.

Please Note: You cannot get help towards the amount you borrowed - only the interest and there is no guarantee that you will get SMI for a loan you take out.

If you are on a low-income, including if you have a small pension and/or benefits, then you may be entitled to Council Tax Support. This is claimed from your local council and if you have a state pension, you could be entitled to 100% support with your Council Tax. If you live in the property by yourself you can apply for a 25% discount.

If you want to make a claim for Council Tax Support you will need to complete an application form from your local council.

To find your local council go to our Questions about Where You Live page.

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of two parts, Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit for those of State Pension age.

Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below a certain amount (there are different amounts for single people and couples)

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who have saved some money towards their retirement (e.g. a pension)

The quickest way to claim Pension Credit is by calling 0800 99 1234, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

When you claim, you will be asked for the following proof so make sure you have it to hand:

Your National Insurance number
Information about your income, savings and investments
Your bank account details

You can also fill-out a Pension Credit claim form and post it to your nearest Pension Centre.

Get a Pension Credit form from the site by clicking here.

Find your nearest Pension Centre.

You can also read our other pages to find information on benefits and support.

Universal Credit

Find our more information about Universal Credit and how to make a claim.

Foodbank Assistance

Crown Simmons holds vouchers for local foodbanks so if you are in crisis and need assistance

Debt Counselling

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) has opened a new debt-counselling centre in Esher.

Scroll to Top