Repairs & Home Improvements



We are responsible for undertaking all repair and maintenance work required in the communal parts of your scheme in line with your lease.

We are responsible for:

  • Major structural work
  • Repairs to communal door entry systems.
  • All communal alarms, including any emergency pull-cords in your property and fire alarms.

You are responsible for:

  • All other works to your home.
  • Gas boiler servicing (you must have your gas appliances and boiler serviced every year - it is cheaper if you arrange your own contractor to do this, and we will ask to see a certificate as proof). We require a Gas Safety Certificate which is renewable each year

When you choose your own contractor, make sure they provide you with the relevant certificates, as we may ask to see them. If you have work done on your property that does not meet our standards, you may be charged for the work to be put right.

Organisations such as (also available by telephone on 0333 555 1234 (24/7 staffed line)) and (0800 408 5500) may help you find a suitable contractor for repairs in your own home.

If you think that a repair is needed in a communal area of your property please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Home Improvements

We recognise that you may wish to make improvements to your home.

You are not allowed to make any alterations without written permission from Crown Simmons Housing and there may be a fee to obtain permission for any work. Please contact us if you are thinking of making any improvements to your home (internal decorations will not usually require permission but please check your lease).

Any decorations or home improvements work that you do should be carried out with care and:

  • Not cause a nuisance to other residents.
  • Where appropriate use an approved, registered and qualified contractor and obtain the relevant planning consents.
  • Not cause any damage to other properties, the land, interfere or cause damage to any communal areas.
  • Ensure that you have insurance to protect you if anything goes wrong.

External Decorations

If you wish to make any alterations that will interfere with the external parts of the building, you must contact Crown Simmons Housing to get written permission.

Wood and Laminate Flooring

If you live in a building shared with other flats you must seek permission before laying wood or laminate flooring. This is so that we can make sure that care has been taken to lessen the potential of noise for other residents. We may ask that you lay sufficient acoustic underlay to suppress any noise. You will be asked to sign an agreement stating that you are aware that if noise complaints are received as a result of the flooring, you may be asked to remove it.

You should check your lease and/or tenancy agreement, and contact us before you make any improvements to internal walls or partitions, doors and frames or flooring inside your property.

Please Note: We are responsible for repairs to your window frames, as these are counted in the external structure of the property. If you wish to replace your own windows, please contact us first. You are responsible for any damage to the glass in the window.

If you want to make improvements to your home

If you’d like to make changes to your property you must first seek permission from Crown Simmons Housing by completing the following form.

The following must be included in your application:

  • A detailed description of the works as carried out, including sketch plans and specifications if appropriate, sufficient to identify clearly the items that are the tenant/leaseholders own responsibility.
  • Copies of all consents, permissions, certificates, and guarantees, etc.

This permission does not alter or reduce in any way the obligations of the tenant/leaseholder as defined in the tenancy agreement/lease document.

Request for Alterations

All residents must fill in this form if they wish to make changes to their property. This form will then be forwarded to their Scheme or Neighbourhood Manager for approval.

  • Please provide as much information as possible including dimensions, materials, etc.
  • Drop files here or
  • Please also provide details of the trades’ persons 3rd party liability insurance and as required details of their registration with statutory bodies i.e. Gas Safe, The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) etc. If you are a tenant you are required to supply 3 quotations for the work.

All work must be completed to the full satisfaction of Crown Simmons.

Under this permission the tenant/leaseholder will be solely responsible for any damage caused by the works or any public or third party liability arising there from.

The tenant/leaseholder will be solely responsible for any future maintenance to any alterations or works carried out under this permission, including any fixtures, fittings or appliances which the tenant/leaseholder has provided and/or installed.

The fixtures, fittings or appliances installed will become Crown Simmons’ fixtures on vacation of the premises at the end of the tenancy/lease.

Fixtures removed by outgoing tenants/leaseholders and being reinstated by Crown Simmons Housing will be charged to the tenant/leaseholder at the prices ruling at that date.

It must be understood that no financial responsibility whatsoever falls upon Crown Simmons Housing in respect of any works or alterations carried out under this permission.

The tenant/leaseholder will be solely responsible for any additional costs incurred by Crown Simmons Housing whilst Crown Simmons are carrying out any maintenance, improvement, or alteration works, if such additional costs are caused by reason of the works carried out under this permission.

Crown Simmons Housing reserves the right to reinstate the premises, in all or in part, to the standard layout and fittings, upon termination of the tenancy/lease. All costs of such reinstatement shall be the tenants/leaseholders responsibility. The extent of any reinstatement will be at the discretion of Crown Simmons.

This permission is Crown Simmons Housing’s permission only and does not exempt the tenant/leaseholder from their obligations under the Building Regulations, Town and Country Planning Act, or any other licensing or consent requirement.

Applications must be made by the tenant/leaseholder and consents obtained from all relevant authorities before works commence. The tenant/leaseholder is to bear all of the costs incurred in this respect.

The proposed works must not cause nuisance to any neighbour or third party nor impinge on the use of any adjoining property. This shall apply both during the course of the works and when they are completed.

Failure to comply with these conditions will result in the tenant/leaseholder being charged the full cost of any reinstatement work or additional work considered necessary by Crown Simmons Housing.

  • Administration of simple applications: £40
  • Administration of complex alterations: £80
  • Each inspection that is necessary over what is allocated in the above administration costs: £30

Upon receipt of the permission (should permission be granted), the described works are to be undertaken within six months when an inspection of said works will be carried out.

If the works are not carried out within six months then permission expires and a new application is to be made to Crown Simmons Housing if the proposed works are to be executed.

When the works have been completed please notify Crown Simmons so that an inspection of the finished works can be arranged.

If relevant certificates have not been sent they must be ready on date of inspection together with a breakdown of cost of any such improvements made.

Further questions

If you have any questions about your request for permission to make an alteration to your property, please contact the Property & Assets Manager whose details can be found on our Staff page by clicking here: Our Staff

Scroll to Top