Rent a Home

Family 5
Family 5
We give priority for our housing to some groups of people who would not be able to afford a property otherwise because they have a low income.

These groups include those who:

  • currently or previously worked in the public sector (healthcare, education, etc) or as a civil servant
  • are over 55
  • are over 60 and require supported accommodation

If you do not meet the above criteria and you cannot rent a home through the private market, you should join your local council's housing register.

If you wish to be considered for any housing with Crown Simmons, you must fill out an application form.

There are three ways to rent a home with Crown Simmons Housing:

If you are registered on your local council’s housing waiting list, we work through 'Choice-Based Lettings' (CBL). This means that if a suitable property becomes available, you can register your interest in the property. If you have the highest priority of all the other people who registered their interest, you are offered the property.

All applicants registered with a CBL scheme are given priority for housing according to the council's criteria.

Additional priority can be given to applicants for health reasons or if they have dependant children. Other factors could include:

  • how long they have been on the council’s housing register
  • their financial circumstances (income, benefits, savings)
  • how long they lived in their previous home
  • if they have a history of arrears

All available homes are advertised every one or two weeks through your local council’s CBL website (if you google your local council and CBL the list of properties should come up), and you might also be able to get information on available properties from your council so please contact them directly.

You can then register your interest in suitable homes. Some applicants may decide to bid on less popular homes because the prospects of being offered these are greater. The property will then always be offered to the applicant with the highest priority. If there are several bidders in the same priority, the home will be offered to the applicant who registered their CBL application first.

Sometimes your council’s CBL scheme will limit the amount of properties you can bid for. Check this information carefully – if you are able to bid on any home that fits what you are looking for, it is a good idea to do this. This is especially true if you need a large home with more than 2 bedrooms, as these homes do not become available regularly.

If you are currently a resident of another housing association or council and you have kept up with your rent, then you may be able to swap your current home with one of our residents.

Part of a government scheme called ‘HomeSwap Direct’ - if you found a home that you felt was better suited to your needs and the person who lived in that home found your home suited their needs, you could both swap (there can also be another person involved or lots of other people involved who you may be able to swap with).

Usually residents do this through websites or at events designed around residents who want to swap, being introduced to other residents who want to swap, and services to help them do this. has lots of useful information on swapping your home, and services to help you find a swap include:

  • Homes Direct
  • HomeSwapper
  • House Exchange
  • Exchange Locata
  • Mutual Home Exchange

A lot of these providers let you advertise your home for swapping for a small fee, or your current landlord may be registered with one of these schemes which may mean it is free, or cheaper, for you to advertise through them.

Once you have found someone who you’d like to swap with (who would like to swap with you too), you need to apply in writing (by letter or e-mail), to get formal permission for the swap to go ahead and our resident will have to do the same and write to us. You must not proceed with any move until formal permission by both landlords has been given.

You should make sure that you are happy with the condition of our property by inspecting each room personally. If you notice any problems that would have been the previous resident’s responsibility (see ‘Who is responsible for what?’), after you have swapped, we are unlikely to agree to fix these for you.

Your application will usually not be refused without very good reason.

As well as through the CBL scheme with local councils, we also hold our own waiting lists for a few of our schemes.

Our waiting lists are mainly reserved for:

  • Those who currently work in, or have retired from the civil service or public sector (healthcare, police, etc)
  • Those over 55 years who require  retirement or modified accommodation for disabled people
  • Those over 60 years who require supported accommodation

Please visit the following pages to see which of our homes you can apply for directly.

For properties for those over 55, please visit: Retirement Properties

For properties for those currently working in or retired from the public sector or as a civil servant, please visit: Properties for Public Sector Workers

Scroll to Top